Speakers Bureau Volunteer
○ Comfortable telling your own story in public
○ Ability to tell a powerful story in a short period of time (training provided)
○ Comfort with people who may ask uncomfortable or unintentionally offensive questions
○ Knowledge about RCC’s programs, resources, and theoretical models (training provided)
Trainings are scheduled during daytime or evening hours on weekdays and weekends
Supervision and Support:
Speakers’ Bureau is trained and coordinated by Mayela Zuniga Lopez, Tawny Porter, and other training staff. Training and practice sessions are required before one is considered ready and available to schedule trainings. Training requests generally come from service providers (medical, mental health, and substance abuse), community groups (such as Rotary Club), and school groups.
○ Improve support and knowledge about LGBTQ and HIV+ people with the community
○ Share personal stories and information to raise awareness about LGBTQ and HIV+ people in the community
○ Share information about RCC with community groups
○ Attend training and practice story telling, develop talking points
○ Attend events or programs and speak about personal experiences and RCC programs. Debrief and provide evaluation to RCC staff after event.